Now that the holiday season has passed and the house looks so barren, I am inspired to have my house look like cupid decorated it — but in a tasteful and budget friendly way. As a matter of budget,I can spend very little no money on Valentine’s day, especially decor. But despite budget restrictions, it is possible to decorate and be festive for the month of February using materials collected from around the house.
I decided to decorate my house in snowflake hearts; I really like how it turned out –a nice combination of winter and Valentine’s day theme. My kiddos love the snowflake hearts, and want me to keep making more and more. They love hanging them on the walls, and want to turn the house into a valentine winter wonderland. (we shall see!) Although I only used white paper, various colors would make the snowflake hearts perfect for this holiday.
- Paper–must be square shape (I used printer paper, it is what I had on hand)
- Start with a square piece of paper. Fold in half to make a triangle. Open up and make another triangle in the opposite direction.
- With the bottom two angles of the triangle facing you, fold the right angle over the left, finding the midpoint of the left side of the triangle. Crease the fold.
- Then fold the left angle behind the right the right side. it should look like a tulip.
- Fold one more time in half.
- Cut off top edges
- Draw design.
And all those little extra hearts from the snowflakes can be used in various ways. I taped some on windows and bathroom mirrors. I also folded the hearts and glued them on a canvas. I love the 3D effect that the paper hearts adds to the canvas.