Memorial Day is fast approaching and that signals the start of grilling season. (Yay!) Although I have not readied our charcoal grill yet, I am still in the mood for homemade hamburgers. There is something satisfying about a hamburger, and this burger recipe makes for a delicious, tasty and filling burger. I think this recipe rivals any restaurant burger, and tweaks can be made to the recipe as tastes warrant (omitting spinach or onions and adding blue cheese).
And although hamburgers on a charcoal grill have a unique flavor, this recipe works well for broiling in the oven. This makes for a quick weeknight dinner, and you will have extra patties for the next day’s lunch or dinner too–a win/win.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup of fresh spinach chopped
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1Tbsp of oil, I used coconut oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 3Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Colby jack cheese slices
- In a large saute pan, heat oil. Add onion and spinach and cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine beef, onion mixture, bread crumbs, brown sugar, eggs, sauces, and spices. Mix well making sure ingredients are evenly distributed
- Form into patties. Make a divot (like a large thumb print) in the center of each patty. This makes for an evenly cooked, and juicy burger.
- Broil in oven for 7 minutes. Flip burgers and broil for another 5 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
- Remove from oven, top with cheese. Return burgers to oven and broil for 1-2 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
I love serving my burgers with tons of toppings–lettuce, onions, mayo, ketchup, guacamole, ketchup, mustard, and pickles. I also love my burger on a pretzel bun. Oh, Deliciousness!
I served these hamburgers to my family this week for dinner and added a side of fresh green beans and juicy watermelon. My family loved this meal!