Broccoli– the only vegetable my ten-year-old daughter will eat. So trying to come up with varying ideas using broccoli as a main staple has been challenging. But one go-to recipe that my picky eater will devour is my homemade broccoli cheddar soup. It is equally delicious as well as satisfying. And not only does my picky eater devour the soup, but so does the rest of the family. This soup really hits the spot.
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped (I cut about one inch off of end of broccoli stalks and use rest in the soup)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, including leaves, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in broccoli and give a good stir.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour in chicken stock until broccoli is covered. Give another good stir.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
- While broccoli soup is simmering, prepare the cheese sauce. (See below)
Ingredients for Cheese Sauce
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 8 oz block of cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer extra sharp cheddar for this recipe)
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and garlic. Add flour and spices and whisk until a paste forms.
- Pour in half and half and milk, and stir constantly until sauce begins to boil (sauce should be thickened). Continue to whisk while sauce boils for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese. Stir until cheddar cheese is fully melted in the sauce.
- Returning to broccoli soup: Mash broccoli soup with a potato masher until all chunks are removed. Or add soup in batches to a food processor, depending on how you like the consistency/texture of soup.
- Pour in cheese sauce and stir together. Let cook on low heat for ten minutes. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed/desired.
- Enjoy and serve.
I served the broccoli cheddar soup with focaccia bread sticks.
To make the bread sticks:
- Set oven on low broil setting.
- Slice focaccia bread horizontally. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Butter bread with salted (softened) butter,(I used Kerrygold Irish Butter– I love it.)
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place on a oven for 2-4 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Slice bread into sticks and serve with broccoli cheddar soup.
I paired the soup and bread with a tomato sauce– for dipping the bread. For homemade tomato sauce click here.
I hope your family enjoys this dinner as much as my family does. Happy eating! Please feel free to share your comments and feedback.
Click link To return to home page
If you are enjoying this blog, like and follow Wicklow Wildflower on Facebook: facebook.com/wicklowwildflower